Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Traditions

So, I have spent the last many several hours indulging in sparkling wine (not Champagne, because there's some kind of regional French scuffle over calling it that) and baking apple pies.  Why?  Because this year, like many other years, our Thanksgiving is coming to us in a box, courtesy the good people at Giant Food (or, whatever they're called now that they've been bought out several times over since I graduated from high school in the mid-80s).  But, I digress.  So, while the box contains a de rigueur pumpkin pie (as required), I have chosen to make something else.

Two something elses, actually, but quite close in nature.  One is a cranberry-apple-pecan-raisin pie, and the second is an apple-cranberry pie.  Identical, yes?  NO!!!  According to someone not all that close to me (but in this house, regardless), the crust is the difference.  As in:  I DID NOT MAKE THE CRUSTS!!!  I allowed Pillsbury to do that for me, because, honestly, those folks have been doing it for how many years, and they pretty much have it down to a science.  Me, I get frustrated and start adding too much water and the the next thing you know, we go from flaky pie crust to quiche in about five minutes.

Anyways, they are cooling off in my kitchen, and I'm happy about them. Next up - the sides.  We all know turkey is the main Big Deal, yes?  No.  It's not. It's the sides.  You can have the exotic, Martha Stewart-inspired rosemary-garlic mashed potatoes, but, heavens-to-Betsy, you had BETTER have those yeast rolls sitting right alongside them if you know what's good for you.  And you do.  The turkey, for the most part, is just window dressing. Oh, and the dressing (or, actually, STUFFING) is a pretty big deal, too.  Giant, once again, is providing that, but I did pick up some Pillsbury (AGAIN!!!) packages because they were on sale at Safeway.  Is that some kind of conflict?  Main big meal from Giant, extras from Safeway?  Who cares.

So, to keep the peace (which, thanks to the stoic efforts of many people this week), I am placing the pumpkin pie alongside my Epicurious apple-toasted-pecan-golden raisin-fresh cranberry pie.  And my macaroni and cheese.  Because my Grandma Helen would want it that way.

1 comment:

  1. Drooling. It all sounds yummy.

    We are having Thanksgiving courtesy of Balducci's this year. And I had a twinge of guilt this afternoon when I didn't have to start baking, but this evening, I'm like Rhett... I don't give a damn.

    ReplyDelete