Saturday, January 28, 2012

My dogs

I love dogs. I especially love my dogs. I tried to have a cat companion, but he took one look at my father and it was all over for us. So, I stayed with dogs. And, soon, I have to face the Tough Decision with one of them.

This won't be the first time. That was in October 2010, and not a day goes by that I don't think of his final moments at the vet. And I saw that as my ultimate springboard into adulthood. Not getting married, buying property, having sustainable employment, or giving birth. No. Those were important, no doubt, but taking that little dog in for his final vet visit was the most grown-up thing I've ever done. And soon, possibly before the end of the year, I'll have to do it again.

We got our first dog as a fifth anniversary present. He was a four-pound pug puppy and we adored him immediately. And he was an awful puppy. He hated riding in cars, preferring the destination to the journey every time. When we brought home our first child, he greeted us at the top of the stairs to the basement, tail wagging furiously, and said, "Hello! I love you!" to the baby with the enthusiasm only a dog can show.

That baby was followed by a second dog, and then a second baby. The first dog once again showed his joy at having another baby (and Cheerios source) in the house. A third dog, this time a rescue, was added, along with a move, and the Elder Dog bore it well. He was my constant companion, accepting the changes to his life with ease (even though we used to joke that he was placing personal ads for child-free homes on Cragslist all the time).

We added one more baby to his life, and his effervescence was obvious. He loves babies. He loves people. He doesn't care when other dogs see him - he only sees the people they're with. Only now, he can't see too well. He can't hear any more, and he has arthritis. He has a tough time getting down the stairs, and he takes glucosamine for his joints. But lately . . .

But lately, it's gotten harder. And I'm going to have to call the vet again. And I'm going to fulfill the promise I made when we got him on a painfully gorgeous September morning almost 13 years ago - I was here almost at the start, and I will be there at the end.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I just cried. I'm so glad you have a blog. But this was a tough way to start! <3 to B. <3 to you!

    ReplyDelete